Git Version control tutorial and advantage of git
In this tutorial (Git Version control tutorial), we are going learn about what is the meaning of version control.
What is Version control system in git ?
Version control systems are a category of software tools. It helps a software team manage changes to source code over time. Version control software keeps track of every modification to the code in a special kind of database. If a mistake is made, developers can turn back the clock and compare earlier versions of the code to help fix the mistake while minimizing disruption to all team members.
Benefits of version control?
- Authenticated access for commits
- Revision history on files
- Atomic commits of multiple files
Different type of version control tools?
- Apache Allura
- AWS CodeCommit
Advantages of Git
- Fast and light weight : The operation performed by git is locally, that’s why it gives huge benefit in speed. The core part of git is written in c language. Which avoids runtime overheads associated with other high-level languages.
- Free and open source: Git comes under GPL’s open source license. It is freely available over the internet.
- Distributed Development : Each developer gets their own repository with complete and full of commits.
- Feature Branch Workflow : Git has branching capabilities. Git branches are cheap and easy to merge. Developer can create it own isolated area using branch feature.
- Data integrity is assured: Because git uses SHA1 trees, data corruption due to external reasons can be easily detected.